56% of all anxiety happens at work. Anxiety isn’t the same as stress. Stress is a response to an external event that goes away when you handle the problem. Anxiety needs no outside stimulus to exist. It is a feeling of constant dread that is very draining. The anxiety wears you out and your productivity drops and then you chastise yourself; more anxiety ensues and the cycle repeats.
7 Ways to Overcome Anxiety
- Reframe the feelings into excitement, use that energy to produce.
- Accept the anxiety rather than waste time and energy fighting it.
- Unplug your devices. This will limit distraction and allow you to produce more. We all have a limited amount of willpower. So giving the task our complete focus makes it more likely it will get done.
- Break a big task down into smaller steps, for example; planning a child’s party- Break this down into micro tasks such as send invitations, buy cake, etc. Check off micro tasks when done and celebrate your accomplishment! This creates a win psychologically. Small achievements lead to bigger ones.
- Ask for clear feedback from employers. Knowing that you are heading in the right direction on a big project lowers anxiety.
- Listen to your body. Our body is constantly giving us signals of what serves and doesn’t serve us. If you are in a work place that doesn’t utilize your unique gifts and talents or doesn’t value and appreciate your dignity, it may be time to move on.
- Have your nervous system adjusted by a tonal chiropractor. Fight or flight from past unresolved trauma can more easily be set off and will make you overreact to normal every day stressors.